Thursday, July 15, 2010

Word of the Day

Yes it is true, I am a email subscriber to Dictionary.com.

If you know me, you would never assume I have an extensive vocabulary.

And you were right, I do not.

However, I enjoy the vocabulary world. It amazes me. Why and when and what were the word creators thinking...(word creators? I would like to be one please!)

So..everyday I get a word of the day email from Dictionary.com. Mostly, I have never heard some of these ridiculous words, and they will not be appearing in my vocabulary anytime soon.

Here are some of the most recent:

brannigan \BRAN-i-guhn\, noun. A carouse. A squabble; a brawl.

vestigial \ ve-STU-ee-uhl\, adjective. Relating to a body part that has become small and lost its use. Pertaining to, or nature of anything that is no longer present or in existence.

snuff \SNUHF\,verb. To extinguish or suppress. To cut off or remove of.

bijou \BEE-zhoo\, adjective. Something small, delicate, and exquisitely wrought.

squelch \SKWELCH\, verb. To put down, suppress, or silence, as with a crushing retort or argument. To strike or press with crushing force; crush down. To make a splashing sound. To tread heavily in water, mud, wet shoes, etc with such a sound.


I know, I know. Most seem unusable. I would agree. However, you could use them as this:

I hate going downtown because I swear there are always brannigans.

Did Bob just show us his penis? Did you see it? It used to be so big and now it is so vestigial.

These thighs are so not bijou.

If you talk to me one more time, I will squelch the shit out of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment